Here in the US, Halloween is celebrated far from its roots of All Hallows Eve. In our family, it was an excuse to have a bit of fun. This is a pictures of yours truly with some of my sibs. 100 points to Gryffindor if you can spot me*! 🙂
This week’s Friday Five is inspired by our daughters’ use of Halloween as an opportunity to unleash their creativity on the world. Daughter #1 frequently chose to dress up as book characters; one year she was Galadriel, another year she was Cyradis (you have to have read David Eddings). Daughter #2 stretched her imagination to be a “Princess-ballerina-kitty cat” but also created a Dorito costume! Of course, they imitated the free-flowing whimsy of their parents, who one year wore boxes colored to look like dice and had signs saying “I’m lost.” (Pair-of-dice lost… Get it? Bwahahaha… Ah well…)
Soooo… Let YOUR inner whimsy fly! List five characters, creatures, things or feelings YOU’D like to do the next time you have the opportunity to be in costume. Will you be biblical, Disney, vegetable, or historical? Will you make a political statement or just live out a fantasy? do tell!
1. Some kind of kick-ass bad-assery. Perhaps the Black Widow from The Avengers. Not sure about what I would do to the onlookers if I wore skin-tight black leather… but I think I could pull off the ‘tude.
2. The ever-present Washington Red Tape, appropriate for the recent government shut down.
3. One year I went as a bag of jellybeans. It was a warm Halloween (for a change) and I about roasted to death. I used a clear garbage bag and filled it with balloons, tying it at the neck with a bow. I don’t have a picture of that one.
4. I have also dressed up as a crayon (blue leotard, crayola logo on front and back, blue flowerpot as a “point” of the crayon.
5. Ah, but far too frequently, I’m Miss Understood. Which was my greet-the-kiddies-at-the-door costume. It was memorable and included a sash, tiara, scepter and purple glitter wig. And we’ll leave it at that. 🙂
Play along if you wish at What’s Your Whimsy? at RevGalBlogPals!
*P.S. I’m in the front row on the left.