Did you know that the major purpose for forming a non-profit, RevGalBlogPals, Inc., was to be able to attract grant support for a large scale RevGalBlogPal meetup? My dream from the beginning has been attracting financial support that would allow as many of our bloggers to be together as possible.
RGBP, Inc. now has a planning committee, and we are in the early stages of planning the RevGalBlogPal Big Event. What, When, Where and Who are all on the table at the moment. In that spirit, I bring you the Big Event Friday Five.
1. What would the meeting be like? (Continuing Ed? Retreat? Outside Speakers? Interest Groups? Workshops? Hot Stone Massages? Pedicures? Glorified Slumber Party?)
Worship. Laughter. Brainstorming. Listening. Why bring in outside speakers when there is so much we don’t get to hear from each other? I’d love to hear a Christian contemporary singer like Sara Groves or Ginny Owens. If you felt an outside speaker was essential, I’d love to hear Mimi Haddad from Christians for Biblical Equality, or Carrie Miles or any number of CBEs writers and authors!
2. When in 2008 might you be able to attend? January? Shortly after Easter? Summer? Fall? Some other time?
Beginning of the semester only. By the time we hit mid-terms and end-of-term, I am a hermit.
3. Where would your dream meeting location be? (Urban Hotel? Rural Retreat Center? New England Camp? Southwestern Fantasy Hotel? Far away from civilization? Nearby Outlets or Really Great Thrift Stores?)
Well, I’m a beach person. However, those areas are notoriously expensive. Not too far from a major airport hub since I would imagine most of us would fly. Maybe a beach resort off-season would be feasible (i.e. the beach in January would be cheaper than Denver!)
4. Who would make a great keynote speaker? (That’s if #1 leads us in that direction.)
One of our matriarchs. Or one of our daughtriarchs.
5. Did I leave out something you want to suggest?
Please, PLEASE don’t make it into a strident female fest. I was not happy with a recent event that I promoted others to attend (a breast-feeding advocacy “feed in” on capitol hill) when the voices got shrill and finger-pointing. Bring in politics (public or religious) and I’m not gonna be there.