Over at RevGals I’m hosting the Friday Five! I hope you’ll play along!
Strange events this year meant that I did not have a BITE of all of the dishes prepared for Thanksgiving. A crazy GI bug flattened me for the day (and today as well!) It was NOT the Thanksgiving I had planned. (And maybe your Thanksgiving was not the ideal, either.)
But being thankful is a spiritual discipline. So I invite you to list five things, people, events or pets that you are truly thankful for this year.
- My beloveds – husband and daughters. This year there was a Thanksgiving Dinner because they (and their houseguests) pulled off a feast. More than just that, they have shown me what unconditional love and encouragement looks like. I’m grateful for them.
- My extended family… Scattered from Ohio to the Carolinas to Texas. I love and miss them.
- My work/ministry as a hospice chaplain. Each day is different and I never know what God will do.
- Good friends and partners in ministry. I am so grateful for the friendships formed with Jill, Kari, Linda, Glennyce and Dee. Love you gals!
- Books, computers and cats. The last few days I’ve been kept company by our cats who appear to enjoy the heat-producing fevers of my body.
BONUS: As spiritual careGIVERS we often forget to plan time to care for ourselves and we end up getting the dregs of our energies and self-care. What are you doing to make sure you aren’t getting the LEFTOVERS of your schedule for self care?
What a great question! 🙂 As one who is recovering from a nasty GI/flu bug, I can honestly say that giving myself permission to do NOTHING but sleep is important. Not even doing the dishes. Making time to do the things that give me a sense of renewal and peace…