It’s my week to host the RevGals’ Friday Five! Play along if you like in the comments, or leave a link to your blog!
This is the first of three batches of applesauce and applebutter created in my kitchen this month. And it’s the inspiration for this week’s Friday Five!
1. What’s your best homemade treat? Is it worth all the effort? (It doesn’t have to be something canned. )
I’m a pretty darn good bread-baker. It’s a skill I learned from my Mom, and the smell of fresh bread baking when we came home from school was (and is) one of my favorite smells. Here’s a link to one of my favorite bread recipes: Honey and Oats Bread.
2. At our house, applesauce and football are the harbingers of fall. What are they at your house?
Well, I wrote this question, so yes, applesauce and football. Ohio State football, to be precise.
3. Someone gave me an “automatic” apple peeler from one of those home cooking product shows. (It doesn’t work all that great.) What’s one kitchen contraption or tool you’d gladly trade me for it?
I will SERIOUSLY entertain your quest to relieve me of this contraption. Make me an offer! 🙂
4. Whose the best chef in your home? Why?
That would be Reedy Girl, who is an amazing baker. Among her specialties, brownies, baklava and creme brûlée. OH MAN…
5. Cider, apple juice, or hard cider? Discuss.
I love a hot mulled cider! But a hard cider with dinner also slips down pretty easily.
BONUS: Recipes! You know we love ‘em!
This is a recipe I made up this week: Apple Butterscotch Crumble. Early reviews gave it a big “thumbs up.” It’s relatively low in sugar and can be made gluten-free if you use the right ingredients!