One of our original ring members, jo(e), wrote yesterday about a trip she and her sisters are taking overseas with their parents, to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. Many other RevGals are headed for the Festival of Homiletics in the coming week (click here for information on a RevGals meetup!!). In honor of these upcoming trips, herewith your Grand Tour Friday Five.
Name five places that fall into the following categories:
1) Favorite Destination — someplace you’ve visited once or often and would gladly go again Germany. The Alps. In a heartbeat. Do the rounds at all the wonderful pubs. But THIS time? Beloved Bearded Spouse goes with me!!
2) Unfavorite Destination — someplace you wish you had never been (and why) Disney World/land. Must I say why? Isn’t it obvious? When a bottle of water costs $5? When you are stuck in crowds all day, everywhere you go? When the asphalt seems to burn through your shoes by 11 a.m.? When the admission price (not to mention hotel costs) for a family of four approaches the cost of a small car? When everything saccharine, sexist and misogynist is all around you? (Don’t think Disney is misogynist? Can we talk about LINES to the bathroom? LINES to everywhere? And all those small kids tired, sunburned, whining and wanting a potty??? And… OK. Never mind.)
3) Fantasy Destination — someplace to visit if cost and/or time did not matter…
The mind boggles… I should say something wild and crazy like a safari in Kenya, or climbing Mount Everest. But I think I’ll just say a month in Hawaii. On the beach. In a private home. Hammock time required.
4) Fictional Destination — someplace from a book or movie or other art or media form you would love to visit, although it exists only in imagination…
I’ve always thought Rivendell would be the best place for a vacation. Ever. Though Diagon Alley is right up there.
5) Funny Destination — the funniest place name you’ve ever visited or want to visit…
Oh dear. If I said Noodle, Texas, then I would have far too many RevGals to visit!! So I’ll say Newfoundland because the list of funny names makes it just too hard to choose!
Sigh… Can I go now???